The OERabic team are thrilled to share with you the launch of ROOTS & ROUTES, an ambitious collaborative open-access publishing project, which aims to simplify the learning and teaching of Arabic vocabulary through rootwords.
In Roots & Routes, we have uncovered many roots (around 500 so far) and each Arabic root might lead you to many exciting routes within the infinite horizons of the Arabic language.
What is Roots & Routes? Roots & Routes presents learners with must-know roots related to a particular topic and expounds the richness of derivatives that each root gives rise to, providing plenty of context phrases and collocations.
The root word system is among the most fascinating aspects of Arabic, connecting vocabulary logically both in root-words and in meaning. The Roots & Routes project underscores the many exciting routes that each Arabic root leads us to.
Amongst the key features of R&R:
- 10 thematic volumes sets [See Index of sets]
- 70 sub-sets [See Index of Thematic Sets ]
- Over 500 Individual Root posters with close to 7,000 derivatives [See Index of Roots]
- Skill level breakdown (🔵 Beginner, 🍏 Intermediate, 🔴 Advanced)
- Pronunciation support
- Brief English translations of meaning (for each derivative)
- Grammatical abbreviations (for each derivative)
- Over 8,000 Vocabulary in Context, including phrases, collocations and idioms
This is a work-in-progress platform and we’ll be uploading plenty more resources throughout 2020.
We hope that you will enjoy using the resources and would be happy to hear back from you.
For more information go to: About R&R
OERabic Team, University of Edinburgh
🔎 SEARCH & ⬇️ DWNLD
To search & download our resources, go to the master indexes below and search (in Arabic or English) by resource name, root, theme, or keyword. All of our resources have been labelled with a code so if you know the code of the resource you need (see resource title), you can just search by code (e.g. #1a, #2a, #2a1, etc.)
📧 SUBSCRIBE TO THE LATEST POSTS via EMAIL
All our resources are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) licence